Thanks to outstanding properties such as high strength, and good aesthetic value, pine wood has become the most widely used wood in many projects such as furniture production and construction, especially manufacturing pallets for storage and transportation of goods. What factors made them so superior? In this article, let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the pinewood pallet.
What is a pinewood pallet?
Pinewood pallet is a type of pallet made from pine wood with the scientific name Pinaceae). It is a tree of the pine family, gymnosperm, and grows best in temperate and subtropical climates. Pine in Vietnam is mainly grown in the highlands, especially Da Lat and the Central Highlands. This tree has a large round trunk, tall and upright shape, and is easy to cut down and move. The pine tree, which is grown for production purposes, grows very quickly and can provide the amount of wood for the pallet market continuously. Pinewood has beautiful wood grain, its natural color is softwood, so it is easy to process.
Advantages and disadvantages of pinewood pallet
Advantages of pinewood pallet
- High aesthetic value: Pallets made of pine bring natural beauty thanks to impressive veins and delicate colors. In particular, the color and wood grain is a characteristics to distinguish it from acacia or acacia wood pallets.
- Good bearing capacity: Pallet products are made from natural pine wood blocks, before being put into use, they have undergone the process of cutting, sawing, and processing until they have very good durability and bearing capacity. Load capacity up to 1000kg.
- Good water resistance: Natural pine wood pallets are subjected to strict fumigation treatment, meeting ISPM-15 standards. At the same time, the links inside the wood are very strong. That’s why pallets are made from very durable pine wood and when exposed to water, they are difficult to absorb into the inner wood core.
- Thanks to their solid structure and square design, pine wood pallets are convenient for moving, arranging, and protecting goods.
- Pine pallets are relatively lighter than other types of wooden pallets.
- Thanks to the plastic layer inside the wooden body, the pallet is manufactured from pine wood with high moisture resistance. So it is easy to move goods long distances.
- Quality pine pallets that are tested and certified by ISPM-15 and EPAL (European Pallet Association) can be easily exported and cleared to
- European countries and countries with strict requirements.
- In addition to supporting and storing goods, old pine pallets can be recycled into useful household items such as furniture.
Disadvantages of pinewood pallet
- High cost: Compared to old pine wood pallets or pallets manufactured from Melaleuca wood or plastic, new pine wood pallets are quite expensive. However, this price difference is completely justified by their quality.
- Like the characteristics of other common woods, pinewood pallets are also prone to catching fire-leading fires.
- Although pine pallets are resistant to mold, if not stored properly, and placed in a high humidity environment for a long time, the pallet can still become moldy.
- Pine pallets are custom with specified loads. Therefore, if they are not used properly or exceed the allowable load pallet may be damaged.
Besides the good sides that pine pallets bring, there are also disadvantages. But if you know how to use and store it properly, you can completely control these limitations.